Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ten Pound Bag of Potatoes

Recently, Mark and I were talking about my "ten pound bag of potatoes" period of life and he wanted me to write a blog about it. He said it was a good story. The only thing good about it to me is that it's over!! But, I'll humor him, so here goes.

I got my own apartment when I was 22. I moved to Buckhead because that was where I worked and back then (1983), there was all kinds of affordable housing. My apartment was inPeachtree Hills (now a trendy condo community). I paid $375.00 a month for rent on a one bedroom and that included utilities. I didn't have a pot to...you know what...in.

I think I made a little over six dollars an hour at Aaron Rents home office on Paces Ferry Road. I also had a $120.00 a month car payment. So sometimes, things were tough.

And on those tough weeks, where I found myself with only a few dollars to eat on, I would go to the Kroger at Ansley Mall and buy a 10 pound sack of potatoes. See, I could eat that out of that bag of potatoes all week. I'd boil them, bake them, mash them and fry them. It would only cost about $2.00 for that bag of potatoes.

I lived like that for about a year. Once I made up my mind to go into sales and I gave it all I had, I was making really good money for the time. I could go to the grocery store and not have to pull change out of the ashtray.

That's why this economical crunch is not scaring me so badly. I know we'll be OK in the end. And in the meantime, if it gets really bad, potatoes are still only around $2.00 for a ten pound bag.

1 comment:

VoteNovember2008 said...

OMG, how many times have you and I discussed those "potato days!"? Myra, just like you I can do some amazing things with a potato! Survivors do exactly that, we survive no matter the obstacle! VN8